Thursday, July 7, 2011

Forbidden


Here at ESDES, we are not allowed to participate in "Running with the bulls." If we do and the president of the school finds out, we get kicked out. However, the president made a concession for a group of us. He said we could go and watch as long as we didn't run. We ran anyway.
You probably think I'm insane for two reasons.
1) It's running with the bulls! It can be super dangerous. People die EVERY YEAR!
2) Why risk getting kicked out of school?
Well, we all made a pact not to post anything on facebook until this is all over. Posting this does not break that, and as of today, only one person follows my blog. Ha! So, no harm here. But most importantly, the bull was pretty lazy and tired. We're guessing that this was his second night in a row for the run so he knew what was going down. Even so, I was really careful to keep my distance and use the protective cages when he ran by because he did have a few moments of fierceness.
All this being said, I think it's important to note that I don't really like this tradition. The running is fine, but it just upsets me that at the end of it all, the bull gets killed. Some get multiple nights, but they all get killed in the end. Luckily for me and the bull, this was not his night. A lovely little cow was brought in after the festivities to lure him out. Despite my qualms, I'm glad I got to experience, just once. After all, it is (distantly) part of my heritage.



No comments:

Post a Comment