Saturday, September 10, 2011

New Family

I wish I could express to you all my level of thanks, relief and happiness at being placed with this new family! They are some of the nicest people I've ever met. My new mom's name is Kindria, my new dad's name is Jeison and my little sisters are Valeria (9) and Sofia (4). They live decently far from the school but the location is really pretty. There is nothing but rolling hills, covered with trees, grass and cows through the back window. It's breathtaking. The house is relatively new from what i can tell. Or else, they just keep it immaculately clean. It really is very clean. And also not mildewy which is a blessing because the mildew aggravates my allergies and asthma. I feel very blessed. There's also internet here and I will have it in my room which means I'll be able to call and skype people with more ease. Which reminds me, if you see me online on Skype or Facebook, don't be a stranger. If I don't have time to talk, I won't be online anyway. Get it, got it? Good. Kindria is very involved in her church and she listens pretty much exclusively to Christian music. I find this a huge blessing. She's even invited me to church with her. She goes on Sabbaths and Sundays. They dance in their church she says. They have streamers and everything. It's really beautiful. I think I might go, just to check it out sometime. I feel very comfortable in this home. I am safe, warm, well-fed, and cared for. It's a beautiful thing. I don't know if it will actually happen, but Kindria says she wants me to learn how to drive their motorcycle so that I can take Sofia to school. Let's all just imagine this for a minute...and laugh. =]

So, It's Sabbath morning. I've been up since 7:30. It's sprinkling outside and is overcast. I'm in my Sabbath dress, freshly showered, freshly fed and wearing socks to keep my feet warm on the cold tile floor. Jason is at work, Aileen is watching the Emperor's New Groove on TV, Sofia and I are eating lemons (they're sweet and watery!) and Kindria is cleaning in the kitchen. She won't let me clean. Yet. It's only day two here so I know I'll be helping out more very soon. All Costa Rican women are like that. They won't let you help if you're a guest. Soon though, I will be very much integrated into this family and I'll be doing more around the house. Kindria is singing to her music and I feel like I've been living here the whole time I've been in Costa Rica. This is my home until June and I'm just thrilled beyond belief. In just a few minutes, I'll be heading to church. After that, who knows. I may come home or I may go to someone's house for lunch. I don't really know. But I'm happy and blessed. I miss my family and my friends back home (and the ones that are scattered across Pohnpei, Spain, Germany and other parts of the world) but I know I'll see them again someday so I'm content where I am. Today is a good day. Happy Sabbath world!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you are having a wonderful time in Costa Rica:) I feel like we should Skype sometime. Preferably soon. Happy Sabbath! Eye Lof Chu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! A perfect combination of constant homesickness combined with contentment and excitement!!! Waiting just makes reunions more amazing. Cannot wait to talk to you sometime this week! It will be the highlight of my day!!!!

    ReplyDelete