Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Overwhelmed

It's not what you think. I'm not overwhelmed by the work I'm doing, though it is tiresome at times. I'm wholly, utterly, unreservedly thankful for everything I have. I know it's not thanksgiving, but why wait for a holiday when I can be thankful right now? Everything about today just threw my blessings right in front of me and I can't not share them with you.

Clear skies - This morning, the sun came out and it remained clear for much of the day. In fact, I can see all the stars right now. It rained for a total of 9 days straight. I hope I never take a clear sky for granted again. I love the sun and I love stars. Sometimes, it takes horrible weather to remind me of this.

New tastes - Almost as soon as I got home tonight, Jeison handed me a piece of sugar cane. Soooo yummy. I've had it before, but it just reminds me of all the wonderful things I've gotten to eat and try here. Firstly, you should know that I've been reconverted to the love of eggs. For those of you who don't know, before last spring, I hadn't eaten an egg (by itself) for at least 3 years. Now I eat them all the time and they're quite delicious, I must say. I even had one over easy and liked it! Big steps for me. I also got to try Mamon Chino (lychee fruit) and starfruit, both of which are absolutely delicious. I've also tasted quite of few things I don't like (I don't remember names otherwise I'd share) but they make me enjoy everything else so much, I don't really mind in the end. I love food.

My Costa Rican family - They are one of the biggest joys in my life. This morning I had to chase Sofia through the house in order to get her hair combed before school. We laughed the entire time. Then this afternoon as we were watching a video in Kinder class, she gently worked her way onto my lap and fell asleep. Have you ever had a child fall asleep on your lap? It was perhaps the most sublime interaction I've ever shared with another person. She is precious and I love her. Aileen is maybe the most kindhearted person I've ever met. She always draws me darling pictures of the family (with me included!) or asks me if I need anything. She loves to tell me stories. I hope to have a child as sweet as her one day. Kindria is like a big sister and a mom all wrapped into one. Not only does she take care of me, but she talks with me, shows me new things to cook and laughs at me when I get freaked out by the giant bugs that frequently wander into our home. Jeison is awesome too. He built me a door for my room and is always ready to share exciting things about Costa Rica with me. He has a wealth of knowledge to share and I appreciate it.

My biological family - I got a package from my parentals today! It was filled with stickers and other small trinkets for kids. It also contained a MUCH appreciated Spanish/English Bible, an Adventist Hymnal (in Spanish and with the actual music so I can learn the songs properly), earbuds, a recipe for homemade play-doh, and chocolate covered caramels (definitely my Dad's doing). So much joy from one box! My parents are really so wonderful. They never fail to take care of me and even when they don't give me what I want, I know that they're doing what is best for me. I miss them like crazy. I miss my brothers too. It's been so great getting postcards from Phil and I always hope that he and Mike are online when I have free time because I love talking with them. They have had a profound influence on the person I am today. I love my family.

Mail - As evidenced by the bit about the package I received, you probably already realize that I love mail. It's such a joy to get something by mail. A postcard, a letter, a package...all are wonderful. Mail is extra special because we all know that it takes more time to write a letter and put it in the mail than it does to get online and leave a comment via facebook or send an email. Not that those are bad; I love those too, but I always squeal in delight when I get a letter. Snail mail is beautiful.

Friends - I'm so glad Nate and Calle are here. I'm really going to miss them when they leave. They've been so much fun to work with and hang out with too. In fact, we just finished doing Yoga (P90x). We are just like a little family and I'm really glad I've gotten to know them here. Now to all the rest of you. You know, I miss you a lot too. If you're reading this, I would like to send an extra little dose of thanks your way. =] Really, I'm just thankful for all of you. Thanks for the prayers and the letters and the kind words on facebook and the skype time. I can feel the love even though I'm countries away. I love you all!

God - I'm thankful for God because he's the reason I'm so blessed. He gave me friend and family and he's the reason I'm here in Costa Rica. God is good all the time and all the time, God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment