Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Meh.

Today was a very, Very, VERY forgettable day at school. I don't know what happened to me during the night. I went to bed in a decent mood, but when I woke up, I was grouchy and tired. I got a full 9 hours of sleep and yet it took a good 90% of my will power to get up and the rest of it to pick out an outfit and get in the shower. I was so lazy I didn't even wash my hair or make coffee. Yeah, that lazy. In between classes today, I played sudoku (the one from the wwu sm newsletter) to keep myself awake and in a decent mood. I threatened to kick kids out of my class a little more than I should have, too. I'm not proud of that. Strangely, although I was dead tired and just wanted to call a taxi and crawl into bed (have I ever mentioned that it's a 25 minute walk from my house to school?), the happiest part of my day was during 1st grade Bible class. I let each kid pick a song and we sang. We sang loud and with motions. I don't know what I'd do without my first graders. They motivate me and aggravate me all at once. I fully intend for tomorrow to be a better day. Maybe I'll start taking my vitamin d. I haven't seen the sun for a full 7 days so I'm sure it would do some good. It has been raining for a week straight. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. It's like a waterfall out there. I finally caved and bought galoshes. I need a good plastic poncho. My raincoats are no longer waterproof and are starting to smell like mildew. Nothing ever fully dries here. It's really a blessing that my family has a dryer. They are one of the few families that has one and even then, they are in the minority because they actually use it. Dryers are a miracle invention. Much love goes out to whoever thought that one up.
I've been thinking about how I'll never be back in my home for the holidays. For those of you who don't know, my parents sold the house that I've lived in all my life. I've never moved before and it weirds me out to think that I'll never spend another Christmas morning lounging on the couch, sipping hot chocolate and eating mandarins and panettone like we've done every year since I can remember. Sure, it'll happen again, but it will never be in my childhood home. What has come from all this depressing yet delightful reminiscing, is an idea to make Thanksgiving absolutely grand here. I already want to begin planning my menu because I want to gather all the best recipes. I don't want to miss a thing, and I want it to be doable. For that reason, planning begins now. "Why Thanksgiving and not Christmas?", you may be asking. Well, there's a logical answer. Nate and Calle leave December 11th so I'll be the only volunteer here at that time so it'll be more fun to live up Thanksgiving with my fellow estadounidenses. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment